STEEL CUT OATMEAL
- 1 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 1/2 of milk of choice (we like whole)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Zest of 1/2 a orange (or more, depends on you taste)
- 1/2 a vanilla bean, split or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seeds (optional)
Use a large pot (use that cast iron pan and add some more iron to your diet).
Add in the coconut oil and toast around the oats for 2 minutes or so. Add the cinnamon and orange zest the last few seconds before the boiling water goes in then reduce to a simmer adding the milk, vanilla and any flax seeds or whatnot (coconut is always a winner around here, unsweetened).
Combine it all with a few stirs here and there, let it cook until nice and creamy, about 20-30 minutes. Top with fresh fruit or if frozen, stir it in to warm the berries in the last 5 minutes or so.